Due to unforeseen issues, Great Neck Baptist Church is set to undergo some construction in the back of the building. This page has been established to ensure timely updates are given to our church family.
Monday, August 6 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Monday, August 6, 2018, at 10:00a.m. The following items were discussed:
- The team met with Jon Covington, the architect, to discuss the demolition plans. The plans were approved and have been sent to the city for approval.
- The architect will submit preliminary drawings for phase one reconstruction for the new building.
- There is a need for additional storage space. An additional storage container will be purchased to alleviate our storage needs. Both containers will be painted and permanently placed. The containers will be used currently for storage and later for ministry opportunities.
- Asbestos has been found in the area to be demolished. A company, Applied Laboratory Services, was hired to assess the problem and have completed their inspection. We do have asbestos but there is no current danger. A full report will be available by next week. The problem will be addressed, but it will add seven to ten days to the project.
- There will be a meeting after church on Sunday, August 12, with any ministry that has storage areas, including Youth, Military Home Schoolers, Women’s Ministry, Upward, Kitchen, Awana, Children’s Church, Instructional Technology.
Wednesday, July 5 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Thursday, July 5, 2018, at 9:00a.m. Three architectural firms were contacted and asked to submit proposals. Two firms submitted proposals and one withdrew from consideration. After interviewing both architects, the CPT made the decision to award the contract to Covington Hendrix Anderson Architects. Demolition timeline will be forthcoming. At the next meeting of the CPT on Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:30a.m. proposals from three general contractors will be reviewed.
Monday, June 18 Update
The Construction Project Team met on Monday, June 18, 2018, at 10:30a.m. After examining the three proposals for termite protection of the building, the team voted to award the contract to Chesapeake Pest Control. Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of next week, Tuesday, June 26.
We have received two architectural bids. A third bid is anticipated this week. A decision on an architect will be made after the final bid is received and interviews completed.
The Construction Project Team will meet again on Monday, June 25, at 10:30a.m.
Monday, June 11 Update:
The Construction Team met on Monday, June 11, 2018 at 10:30am to begin discussion on contracts for an architect, a contractor and termite treatment. The Team will get three bids for each; however, the Construction Team will not accept bids from GNBC members or their relatives. This decision is to help mitigate potential bias, nepotism and negative issues.