Due to unforeseen issues, Great Neck Baptist Church is set to undergo some construction in the back of the building. This page has been established to ensure timely updates are given to our church family.
Thursday, October 29, 2020 Update
narrative to RD Lambert (our general contractor) and have requested a revised budget to be submitted in line-item detail. In addition to walking the space with RD Lambert’s team for perspective, we have communicated with them on several occasions to clarify each line item and address relative questions. The resultant itemized budget should facilitate some versatility with regard to overall project sizing and/or desired phasing for our team to ultimately submit to the GNBC Church Family.
Please continue to be in prayer for our team. We are encouraged with the prospect of the itemized budget proposal however we recognize there is much work to be done to build a great functioning space suitable for our church family fellowship.
“Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it.” Psalm 127:1
Tuesday, February 19 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Friday, February 8, 2019, with R. D. Lambert &
Son Construction Company to discuss the next steps in the construction project. The group
toured the building to identify damaged areas that will be addressed in the next phase. The
primary goal now is to make the area safe. R. D. Lambert & Son Construction Company will
start the construction/shoring up of the damaged area of the building on March 4 th . This process
should be completed by March 18 th . The final architectural drawings for reconstructing the
damaged area have been received. R. D. Lambert & Son Construction Company are examining
the plans in order to determine the cost of the reconstruction.
Thursday, September 27 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Thursday, September 27, 2018, at 12:00 noon. Selective demolition on the building will begin on October 15, 2018 and take approximately two to three weeks to complete. Upon completion the CPT will make an informed decision as to how to proceed. R. D. Lambert and Son will be handling the project.
Tuesday, September 11 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Tuesday, September 11, 2018, at 9:00a.m. and 11:00a.m. to review final bid proposals for demolition. Due to asbestos and unforeseen factors that have caused a significant increase in the proposal cost, the CPT is exploring further options to be of less financial strain to the church family. Therefore, demolition has been temporarily put on hold until these other options can be explored.
Monday, August 6 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Monday, August 6, 2018, at 10:00a.m. The following items were discussed:
- The team met with Jon Covington, the architect, to discuss the demolition plans. The plans were approved and have been sent to the city for approval.
- The architect will submit preliminary drawings for phase one reconstruction for the new building.
- There is a need for additional storage space. An additional storage container will be purchased to alleviate our storage needs. Both containers will be painted and permanently placed. The containers will be used currently for storage and later for ministry opportunities.
- Asbestos has been found in the area to be demolished. A company, Applied Laboratory Services, was hired to assess the problem and have completed their inspection. We do have asbestos but there is no current danger. A full report will be available by next week. The problem will be addressed, but it will add seven to ten days to the project.
- There will be a meeting after church on Sunday, August 12, with any ministry that has storage areas, including Youth, Military Home Schoolers, Women’s Ministry, Upward, Kitchen, Awana, Children’s Church, Instructional Technology.
Wednesday, July 5 Update
The Construction Project Team (CPT) met on Thursday, July 5, 2018, at 9:00a.m. Three architectural firms were contacted and asked to submit proposals. Two firms submitted proposals and one withdrew from consideration. After interviewing both architects, the CPT made the decision to award the contract to Covington Hendrix Anderson Architects. Demolition timeline will be forthcoming. At the next meeting of the CPT on Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 10:30a.m. proposals from three general contractors will be reviewed.
Monday, June 18 Update
The Construction Project Team met on Monday, June 18, 2018, at 10:30a.m. After examining the three proposals for termite protection of the building, the team voted to award the contract to Chesapeake Pest Control. Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of next week, Tuesday, June 26.
We have received two architectural bids. A third bid is anticipated this week. A decision on an architect will be made after the final bid is received and interviews completed.
The Construction Project Team will meet again on Monday, June 25, at 10:30a.m.
Monday, June 11 Update:
The Construction Team met on Monday, June 11, 2018 at 10:30am to begin discussion on contracts for an architect, a contractor and termite treatment. The Team will get three bids for each; however, the Construction Team will not accept bids from GNBC members or their relatives. This decision is to help mitigate potential bias, nepotism and negative issues.